Thursday, February 28, 2013

Man shall not live by bread alone

I was in an English class when a teacher told me that man shall not live on bread alone. (Mathew 4:4). It was many years later when I realized that this was only half the truth and the full truth many years later finally sunk in. Many persons are always concerned about making a living including myself while I see others simply enjoying life fully depending on God who provides for their daily needs. Did the Lord not also teach us to pray for our daily bread? What about prayer? Do we ever pray, ask God for our daily bread or provisions... or are we simply depending on our own inventions, capabilities, education, social well being, family or a rich country we live in?
It was in a church meeting that the second half of the story was told to me that man shall not live on bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. At that particular time I did not realize that I was spiritually dead, I thought everything was honky dory and live could not get any better. I lived in an opulent society, enjoying all the things mankind produced to make my life more comfortable, pleasurable and very enjoyable, except deep within there was always something missing, a hunger for reality or the joy and peace that my soul and human spirit within was longing for. While my soul  was  enjoying all the world had to offer me, spiritually  I was depressed. My mind  convinced me that I had attained everything my soul could desire and I tried to put on a happy face, yet within I was not living, void of the joy and peace that flows with a real satisfaction and enjoyment within my human spirit.

The outward material things temporarily offered me some kind of comfort, some kind of relief but never fully quenched my thirst for the reality I was looking for.  The Lord pointed out in the Gospel of John that if anyone is thirsty we should come to him and he will give us a drink, a drink of living water that quenches all our thirst. Furthermore He said that the water would flow out of us and that the water is the Spirit whom those who believe into Him will receive. (John 7:37-39).

How do we get this water or the Spirit that quenches all our thirst?. By simply opening up to Him and take in His word. He is embodied in the Word and in  His words are Spirit and Life. When we spend time in the word we truly will live and not on bread alone. When we get ourselves immersed into the reality of this Word , all our thirst is quenched and the Spirit as living water flows from into our inner being, our spirit, soul and body and quenches all our thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment